• The next National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) meeting, Chapter 0813, will be at 11 a.m. July 3, 2019, at the Elks Lodge, 223 E 3rd Street, Rushville, IN. For more information, call 765-629-2720.
• The Rushville Breakfast Optimist Club will hosts its 33rd annual 4th of July Car Show at 8 a.m. on July 4 at North Veterans Memorial Park in Rushville. The event will be held rain or shine.
• Main Street Christian Church will have its 2nd Annual 4th of July block party. Come join us for hot dogs, chips and water at no charge – FREE- and fun. There will be a dunk tank, games, bounce house and obstacle course. All are welcome. The event will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the church parking lot.
• The Rush County Historical Society Open House will be held noon to 3 p.m. July 4 at 619 North Perkins Street, Rushville, IN 46173.
• Big Flatrock Christian Church invites everyone to their annual smoked pork chop supper from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, July 12, at the Manilla Fire Department, 9234 State Road 44, Manilla, IN 46150. Menu is smoked pork chop, cheesy potatoes, green beans, cole slaw or applesauce, dessert and drink for only $8. Carry-outs available. Dorcas Circle II will have a basket raffle for bird house items and car wash supplies.
• The annual Orange School Reunion will be held Sunday, July 14, at the Glenwood Community Center. Register is at 11:30 a.m. with meal approximately 1 p.m. Pitch-in meal with fried chicken, table service and beverages provided. Reservations phone to 765-969-5769 or 765-679-5159 by June 30 for ordering chicken. Anyone who attended either of the Orange schools are welcome to attend. There are no dues. Donations to pay for cost of building rental and purchase the fried chicken are welcome. If you have Facebook, please post to contact classmates and Orange friends.
• A bridal shower for Jessica Ernstes, bride-elect of Garret Sammons, will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, July 21 2019, at the New Salem United Methodist Church Educational Building. They are registered at Home Depot; Bed, Bath and Beyond; Rushville Pharmacy and Target. All friends and relatives are invited to attend.
• The 7th Annual Raleigh School Reunion will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, July 27, 2019 at the Raleigh Community Club in Raleigh. All former students are invited to attend and bring a guest. Snacks and drinks will be available. For additional information contact Shirley Biehl at 765-914-7432, email@example.com or check out the Former Raleigh School Students Facebook page.
• Gleaners Mobile Food Pantry will have year round service in Rushville this year. Gleaners requires no identification or application to participate in their program. Bring your own boxes or bags to the site, as none are provided. The dates are once a month, the first Monday at the Rush County Fairgrounds from 4 to 6 p.m. When the first Monday is a holiday, the delivery will be the second Monday of the month. Please do not arrive at the fair grounds until after 2 p.m.
• Rush County Community Assistance Food Pantry located on 109 East Third Street, Rushville is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. On the fourth Monday of the month, the pantry is open from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please bring proof of address. Donations are welcomed.
• Main Street Christian Church Clothing Closet will be opened every Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon. Clothes, household , personal items, etc. Please use north back door.
• Our community’s health coalition Rush2Health meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 4:15 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of Rush County. All meetings are open to the public. Questions can be directed to the Rush County Health Department at 765-932-3103.
• Every Wednesday “A Better Life - Brianna’s Hope” meets at the Filling Station, 219 N Perkins, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Struggling with addiction? Want a better life? Here is your opportunity. Give us a chance and we will prove we care about you more than we care about your addiction. We are shining a light into the darkness, God’s light. A home cooked meal is served. We BELIEVE.
• Martha Poe Chapter #143 order of the Eastern Star will have their regular stated meeting on the first Wednesday of each month. The meeting will be held at 841 S SR3. There are no meetings January and February.
• The St. Mary Food Pantry is open from 5 to 6 p.m. every Wednesday. Please call ahead for pick-up.
• National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) Association, Indiana Chapter 0813, has a monthly meeting at 11 a.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Elks Lodge at 223 E. 3rd St., Rushville. Optional lunch afterward. We have guest speakers on a variety of topics, interesting programs, and items discussed. Come meet your current and retired Federal Employee comrades. For more information call (765) 629 2720.
• Tox-away Days are the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon at Smiley Avenue. Join in making this a Clean, Green Rush County.
• The community food pantry, 109 East Third Street, Rushville is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Bring proof of address. Donations welcomed.
• AA group Hoosier Friends meets each Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at The Harbor in Knightstown (9002 U.S. 40). The Harbor is the old Jehovah Witness building. Information: 765-571-1662.
• AA and Al-Anon meet at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church.
• Veterans if you have an appointment at the Richard Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis call 765-561-6497. Seven to 10 days notice is requested. Veterans with less notice may also call and will be transported as best as possible. Volunteer drivers are always needed, you do not need to be a veteran to apply. Help those who have served our country.
• Rush County Victims Assistance, Inc., is meeting quarterly (January, April, July and October) on the second Monday of the month at 6 p.m. For location contact the office at 938-1555. The public always is invited. Info: Barbara Kuhn at 938-1555.
• The Rush County Board of Health will meet the third Tuesday of each month in the Rush Co. Health Dept., Room 105 of the courthouse. For more information call 765-932-3103.
• The Carthage Literary Club meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the library in Carthage.
• The Rush County Health Department offers an immunization clinic each month. For those who are on Medicaid, uninsured or underinsured are eligible for the vaccines. Immunization Clinics for children are on the first Thursday of the month between the hours of 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. in Room #105 in the courthouse. Immunizations available are Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Hib, Hepatitis B, Varicella (Chickenpox), Prevnar, Rotavirus, HPV (Gardasil) and Meningococcal (Menactra). These are provided free of charge from the Indiana State Department of Health to children through the age of eighteen. Children under eighteen are required to have a parent or guardian fill out and sign permission forms each time the child receives an immunization. Records of previous immunizations should be brought in with the child. Federal guidelines states if a child has insurance coverage, other than Medicaid, you will need to contact the insurance carrier to see if the insurance covers vaccines. If it does, you will need to contact your doctor and have the child receive his/her vaccine from the doctor. Even if you have a deductible or co-pay, you must get the vaccine from the doctor. To be eligible to receive the immunizations at the Rush County Health Department, you must be on Medicaid, OR be uninsured, OR be underinsured which means that the insurance does not cover vaccines or a particular vaccine.