Not-for-profits may submit upcoming events to firstname.lastname@example.org or 126 S. Main St., Rushville, IN 46173.
• The 4th annual Ashley Spurlin Memorial 5K walk/run will be held Saturday, May 17, at the RCHS cross country course and track. Registration is from 9 to 9:45 a.m. with the non-competitive walk/run starting at 10 a.m. All money raised goes to scholarships to RCHS students that want to attend Indiana State University.
• Understanding Social Security - An education session on Social Security will be held at 10 a.m., May 17, at the Rushville Public Library (130 W. 3rd St., Rushville). The session is free of charge. Deciding when and how to take Social Security. Benefits is confusing. There are 7 different Social Security strategies, 81 age combinations, and 567 sets of calculations. This educational session will help you understand Socia Security and how to maximize its benefits. Also...15 minutes to “Avoid Probate” with a VeteranEstate Planning Attorney. 15 minutes to debunk the myths of the “Reverse Mortgage” with a Government Qualified Specialist. 15 minutes preparing for the “Best of your life” and learning how to transition into the golden years properly with a Real Estate Specialist. For more information, call 317-318-8355.
• On Saturday, May 17, Hope Spot, a missions of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church (426 N. Morgan, Rushville), will be open from 9 a.m. to noon for families to obtain clothing.
• The Flatrock River Lodge Relay for Life team will hold a car wash and cookout Saturday in the lodge parking lot. The car wash is from noon to 2 p.m. at a cost of $5 per car. The cookout will be from 2 to 5 p.m. at a cost of $5 per meal.
• BRMS will host a seventh grade orientation night Monday, May 19, 2014. All incoming seventh-graders and their parents are encouraged to attend. The evening will begin with an open house between 5:15 and 6:15 p.m. During this time the school will be open to incoming students and parents so they can participate in a tour of the building, learn more about course and extracurricular offerings, and practice opening a middle school combination locker. Summer reading is encouraged to help prepare students for the secondary curriculum. During the orientation open house, the BRMS library will offer parents the opportunity to promote summer literacy by shopping at the Book Fair. Orientation to BRMS will officially begin at 6:15 p.m. in the BRMS gymnasium.