Not-for-profits may submit upcoming events to firstname.lastname@example.org or 126 S. Main St., Rushville, IN 46173.
• The staff and Board of Directors of the Rush County Community Foundation will be hosting a reception to honor the service and dedication of retiring Executive Director Garry E. Cooley. Please stop by the Rush County Community Foundation office between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013 to recognize Garry’s contributions to the community and wish him well on his retirement. Light refreshments will be served. In lieu of gifts, Garry has requested that donations be made to the fund of the donor’s choice.
• Clean Green Rush Tox-Rush Tox-Away Center at Smiley Avenue is open the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon. Rush County residents have a place to take toxic items for safe disposal at no cost. These include, but not limited to, electronic items (anything with a circuit board), batteries, fluorescents bulbs, used motor oil, antifreeze, poisons, mercury, acids, bases, oxidizers, aerosols, household chemicals, oil-based paints (no latex paint) stains, solvents, etc. Call 938-1342 with questions.
• Columbus Star Quilters’ Guild January meeting will be held Jan. 8, 2014 at the Masonic Lodge at 4131 Rocky Ford Road, the corner of Taylor and Rocky Ford Roads. All interested persons are welcome to attend. Member Jamie Schantz will hold a trunk show to display many of her quilts including the Viewers’ Quilt Award 2012 Quilt. Her quilts contain unique combinations of color and applique.
The doors open at 8:45 a.m. and the meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. Please bring a Show-and-Tell to share at the meeting. There is no charge to attend.
• Raleigh Community Club Dance, 7:30-10:30 p.m., weekly on Saturdays. Live band. Open to all ages.
• Tox-away Days are the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon at Smiley Avenue. Join in making this a Clean, Green Rush County.
• The community food pantry, 109 East Third Street, Rushville is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Bring photo ID. Donations welcomed.
• In cooperation with the Rush County Food Pantry (RCCA), the Gleaners Mobile Food Bank will be bringing a truck load of food to the Main Street Christian Church parking lot, 615 N. Main St., Rushville, on the first Monday of each month for distribution to local residents.
The distribution will be made between 4 and 6 p.m. Residents will need to bring their own containers (sacks or boxes) to put their food into.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets each Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown. Use the east entrance at the corner of Adams and Locust streets. Information: 765-313-1637.
• Diabetes education classes are held from 5 to 7 p.m. on the first, second, and third Tuesday of each month at Rush Memorial Hospital Skills Lab, second floor. Cost, $10 per class with a $25 refund if all three classes are attended. Info: 765-932-7416 or email@example.com
• Partners for a Healthy Rush County meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Boys & Girls Club. Open to all interested businesses, organizations or individuals in Rush County.
• AA and Al-Anon meet at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church.
• Crossroads Serenity Group, an Al-Anon group, meets from 6 to 7 p.m. every Monday at 333 N. Main Street, Rushville. Information: Gail at 317-642-9112 or Larry at 765-277-9477.
• Veterans, if you have an appointment at the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis call (765) 932-3075, seven to 10 days in advance, to arrange a ride in the DAV van. Veterans who need a ride sooner call (765) 561-5445 or (765) 932-2703.
• Rush County Victims Assistance, Inc., monthly meeting on the third Monday of each month at 6 p.m. For location contact the office at 938-1555. The public always is invited. Info: Barbara Kuhn at 938-1555.