---- — FRANKLIN — Nine Franklin College students received awards in mathematics at a luncheon on Tuesday, Oct. 22.
The awards, named after retired members of the mathematics faculty or important friends of the department, give recipients a limited student membership to a national mathematical association. In addition, the Dwight Heath award includes a cash prize.
The luncheon was funded by the Wolford Chair in Mathematics and featured honored guests, including Richard M. Park, professor of mathematics emeritus; Dr. Paul T. Nugent, professor of mathematics emeritus; and Mrs. Carolyn Hood, widow of Dr. Rodney T. Hood. Professors John Boardman, Dan Callon, Paul Fonstad, Justin Gash, Stacy Hoehn and Angie Walls were in attendance to represent Franklin College faculty.
The students receiving 2013 math awards include:
• Zach Beasley, son of Dr. and Mrs. Robert Beasley of Franklin, received the Rodney T. Hood award for mathematics and the Dwight Heath award for mathematics.
• Dillon Sayman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dave Sayman of Arlington, received the Rodney T. Hood award for mathematics.
• Rosette Nkulu, of Indianapolis (46260-4559)., received the Richard M. Park award for applied mathematics.
• Kyle Butler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Scott Butler of Kendallville, received the Paul T. Nugent award for mathematics education.
• Jonny Hession, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tim Hession of Speedway, received the Paul T. Nugent award for mathematics education.
• Grant Welp, son of Mr. and Mrs. Greg Welp of Huntingburg, received the Paul T. Nugent award for mathematics education.
• Kyle Linville, son of Mr. and Mrs. Todd Linville of Indianapolis 46224, received the Thorp Wolford award for quantitative analysis.
• Kyle Kellar, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kellar of Valparaiso, John Grimmer award for engineering.
For more information contact Franklin College’s Office of Marketing and Communications at (317) 738-8185.
— Rushville Republican