The Rush County Commissioners recently approved a request for a non-denominational prayer meeting at 7:15 a.m. Tuesdays in the Commissioners Room on the first floor of the Rush County Courthouse.
The impromptu gathering will last approximately 45 minutes, until 8 a.m.
The gathering is to be held weekly on a trial basis for three months. It is open to the general public.
The Gathering invites you to An Evening of Christmas Music. Tonight, Dec. 7, at 7:30 p.m., Josh Hawkins will be singing and playing Christmas music at 245 N. Main Street. The community is invited to join The Gathering for a free concert of Christmas music, great coffee, hot chocolate and goodies.
The Gathering is a community outreach open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Saturdays. The Gathering offers freshly ground coffee, muffins and fruit. ReNEW is a clothing store and outreach offering clean, gently used clothing. Stop in, have a cup of coffee, shop and meet us soon.
For more information, contact Greg Hartwell at 765-561-1134.
St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
St. Paul’s UMC is pleased to welcome Pastor Larry Dimick to our pulpit at the 8:30 and 10:40 a.m. Services on Dec. 9.
The children of St. Paul’s will present a Christmas Pageant at the 10:40 a.m. service on Dec. 16 and on Dec. 23 the Chancel Choir will present a Cantata, 2,000 Decembers Ago, by Joel Ramsey. There will be no 8:30 a.m. Praise Services on these Sundays.
As always, the public is invited and encouraged to come and enjoy listening to God’s Word.
Wesley United Methodist Church
Come join us for Christmas dinner from 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 15 at the Fellowship Hall at Wesley United Methodist Church in Rushville. This is a free dinner. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come join us to give thanks for all our blessings. Donation of a canned food would be appreciated for the food pantry.
Annual Live Nativity at St. Maurice
St. Maurice Catholic Church in Decatur County is having its Live Nativity, sponsored by St. Anne, St. John and St. Maurice Parishes from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9 See the children represent the birth of Jesus. There will be live animals, free refreshments and beautiful music by area choirs. This is a great way to remember what Christmas is all about! Take New Point exit #143 off I-74, go north on County Road 850E to St. Maurice.
Faith Baptist Church - Morristown
Faith Baptist Church in Morristown is having a special Sunday school series called “The Tragedy and Triumph: The Life of Job” with Dr. Wayne Scott teaching at 9:30 a.m. The morning worship service is at 10:30 a.m. followed by a pitch-in lunch at noon. The afternoon service begins at 12:45 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 8 is the dress rehearsal for the children’s Christmas program which will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9 at 10:30 a.m.
Thursday, Dec. 13 - Gleanor’s Food Bank will deliver food to needy families in Morristown from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Morristown Christian Church parking lot. Workers are needed to set up, sort and unload food. Sunday, Dec. 16 is the Morristown Manor Nursing Home Christmas program at 1 p.m. with the distribution of gifts to the residents and singing of Christmas carols. Contact Delaine Thomas for more information about this gift project.
Dec. 23 is the adult Christmas program “The Promised One.” The choir will be singing as well as having a play with a manger scene.
Dec. 24 will be the annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at 7 p.m.
Online sermons are available on the church website at www.fbcmorristown.org.
Plum Creek Christian Church
Are you ready for battle? Ephesians chapter 6:10-18 talks about “The Full Armor of God.” When you sign up to give your life to Christ you are now a soldier for God. The enemy Satan is now at war with you over your very soul. He did not worry about you being a threat to his mission before you were a Christian. The fact is you were not a threat then. Now you must be wise with how you live. The enemy knows your weaknesses and what temptations you face. He strikes at your most vulnerable place. Ephesians 6:13-15 says, “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground. And after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your fit fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace.” Just two verses,
but very powerful. Make sure you are listening dear Christians.
Jesus said you have a real enemy and he is the “Father of Lies.” What does lying produce? Chaos and disorder. Jesus is the truth. What does the truth bring? Freedom. Don’t forget this is the battle of your life. But in the words of a wise Christian man, “the rewards are out of this world!” Are you armored up?
Learn more next Sunday about being prepared for battle.
First Southern Baptist Church
First Southern Baptist Church extends an invitation for everyone to attend the play presentation of “Cricket County Goes to the City” at 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9. It is a hilarious comedy with Biblical applications as the “country cousins” make a trip to the big city to celebrate Christmas with their “city cousins.”
We enjoyed the first installment of this play two years ago as the “city cousins” came to the country to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with their “country cousins.” Director Tammy Justice and the cast of: Larissa Dunn,
Angie Dunn, Brooke Edwards, Morgan Edwards, Ryan Edwards, Amy Fox, Kyle Hoeing, Abbie Sliger, Isaac Sliger, Allison Ward, Eric Ward and Karen Ward invite you to join them in this Christmas celebration. There will be a fellowship reception at the conclusion of the play. For additional information, please call the church office at 932-2471. Hope to see you there!
First Presbyterian Church
The community is invited to the Blue Christmas Candlelit Worship at First Presbyterian Church this Sunday, Dec. 9 at 4 p.m. In the long, dark winter nights, sorrow and loss can become overwhelming. For some, the Christmas season heightens that discomfort. Blue Christmas Worship is a meditative, candlelit worship where our experiences and memories can be released for a bit, as others who carry the Light of Christ offer comfort and love.
Connie Martin will sing the solo, “In the Bleak Midwinter,” and Ann Fenimore will offer the organ gathering music, “Lo, How a Rose E’re Blooming,” and the parting music, “No Golden Carriage, No Bright
That morning, our 10:30 a.m. worship will include the baptism of Keely June Rhoades, daughter of Jackie Weidner and Aaron Rhoades, and a visit from the Christmas Angel with gifts for our children. The Chancel Choir, directed by David Doyle, will sing, “The Friendly Beasts.” Mary Jane Truster and Ann Fenimore will play organ and piano duets: “Angels, From the Realms of Glory,” “It Came Upon the Midnight Clear,” and “The Snow Lay on the Ground.”
First Presbyterian Church joyfully welcomes all to experience the Grace of God as we follow the Light of Christ!
Cookbooks now available
Center Christian Church Cookbooks are now on sale for $5 at Mays Park Restaurant, Rushville Pharmacy or by calling Rosemary Noah at 765-993-0780. The cookbooks make great holiday gifts. There are 232 pages of tried and true recipes with beautiful hardback covers.
Editor’s note: Area churches are encouraged to share non-recurring information with the Rushville Republican for use in Church Briefs, which publishes every Friday. Just send your news to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Rushville Republican, 126 S. Main St., Rushville, IN 46173.
- Church ain't what it used to be In the news recently was the snake handling church in Kentucky. These people believe that you can pick up a poisonous snake and if it bites you, it will not kill you. I know the Scripture they use for that, but I am not sure they understand what that
- Keeping the Faith: Break the Kettles One of the more indispensable words of instruction I have ever received came from Dr. Fred Luskin who was head of the Stanford University Forgiveness Project. He said, "To forgive is to give up all hope for a better past." According to Luskin, what k
- Church News Milroy United Methodist Church Milroy United Methodist Church will host a Chili Cook-off from noon to 2 p.m. Sunday, March 16. Four different types of chili will be available with "all the fixins." A free will offering will be accepted and there wil
- Keeping the Faith: Learning to trust "God has given me little that I might learn to trust Him more." Those are the words of Marta Torres. Marta is not a pious, Latina saint from yesteryear. She is an impoverished, middle-aged mother of two from El Salvador. Yet, if holiness is measured
- News briefs Rick Warren acts on mental health in son's death LAKE FOREST, Calif. (AP) - A year after his son's suicide, pastor Rick Warren is taking on a new mental health ministry inspired by his personal tragedy. Warren, founder of Saddleback Church and a bes
- Church Briefs First Baptist Church - Pastor Jay Noll It was one those days. I turned my steering wheel to the left, but the car kept going straight! The roads were slick and driving was precarious. When the vehicle hit the curb, I heard a loud "thud!", and I thoug
- Me Tarzan, you Insane! Has there ever been a time when there was more chest pounding than today? It is a rare day in May when I get to the point of absolute frustration. These chest pounders do it for me all the time. I will admit that I do get aggravated at a few things a
- Church briefs First Baptist Church "Wow!" I thought to myself as I stood at the base of the mountain. It was so big and daunting! I knew it was going to be a long climb, that there would be narrow pathways along cliff edges and that the weather could change on the
- All that once was good "Pitchers and Catchers report!" It's as sure a sign of the coming spring as erupting dandelions and fledgling fruit blooms. And as inhumane as this winter has been - as brutal as it remains in many locales - spring could not get here quickly enough,
- A change is gonna come My doctor has a deft machine called a "Human Body Composition Analyzer." It is a technological wonder whereby the patient stands on special foot plates while taking in each hand what is essentially a digital ski pole. In these plates and poles are co
- More Church Headlines