Fourteen members of the Rushville Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution met March 13 at the home of Kristen Hass.
Pat Carrigan conducted the Opening Ritual.
The President General’s message was given by Phyllis Fecher.
The National Defense Report and the minutes were given by Patty Caudill.
Libby Smith gave the Treasurer’s Report.
Eleanor Arnold and Judge Barbara Harcourt gave a presentation on East Hill Cemetery.
The cemetery was established in 1859 by a group of concerned citizens that recognized the need for a centrally located cemetery in the county. Leo Weltz, a landscape artist and horticulturist from Wilmington, Ohio, designed the garden cemetery. This type of cemetery design became popular in the mid 1800s. At one time, a Gothic stone chapel stood to the east of the entrance arch but was demolished in the 1940s.
Points of interest at East Hill Cemetery include the mausoleums, the Civil War monument which was unveiled in 1900 to commemorate the service of all Rush County men who served in the Civil War, and the Vvteran’s section which was designated for veterans and their families.