Escapee caught in Franklin Co.
Rush County Jail escapee Tony Shreve, 38, of Greensburg, and his alleged accomplice in the escape, Dawn Hernandez, 24, of Shelbyville, were taken into custody shortly after 11 p.m. Monday at an undisclosed Franklin County residence.
Rush County Sheriff’s Department deputy Duane Raab said a tip from an unidentified source informed law enforcement personnel that the pair of fugitives were back in the state of Indiana.
The tip and the ongoing investigation led officers to the pair.
After officers located Shreve and Hernandez a brief skirmish ensued between officers and the Decatur County man prior to Shreve being placed in custody.
Shreve and Hernandez are currently housed in the Rush County Jail.
Shreve has been charged with a class “C” felony charge of escape and the original charges that landed him behind bars.
He was formally arraigned on the new charges Wednesday. A $500,000 bond on the escape charge was set; half of the bond must be paid in cash and the remainder in collateral. A second bond of $100,000 (cash only) was set on the failure to appear warrant regarding his initial charges.
Hernandez was arrested on a class “C” felony warrant for escape and is being held on a $30,000 bond.
Prior to his escape, Shreve had been incarcerated at the RCJ since October, 2012, on a charge of automobile theft.
According to Rush County Sheriff Jeff Sherwood, prior to fleeing custody Shreve was a model prisoner and served as an inmate worker. It was while he was serving as a worker outside his cell that he walked to a waiting vehicle the morning of Feb. 16. A vehicle allegedly driven by Hernandez was allegedly waiting nearby for him.
The vehicle used in the escape was later found in South Carolina.
Sherwood continued by saying the capture of Shreve and Hernandez was a cooperative effort between the RCSD, Rushville Police Department, Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, Indiana State Police and U.S. Marshall’s Office.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106
Escapee caught in Franklin Co.
- More events canceled RCHS has announced that the Lion basketball game at Connersville scheduled for tonight has been postponed. Also, the Madrigals for tonight has been rescheduled for 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
- Events canceled The following events have been canceled at RCHS: • All practices for Friday • Holiday Fair Saturday • Wrestling Invitational Saturday
- Rushville man killed in State Road 3 accident GREENSBURG - A Rushville man was killed and three other individuals were injured in a two-vehicle crash on State Road 3, near Carver Street, Thursday morning. According to a press release from the Indiana State Police (ISP), the accident occurred jus
- Saturday is Pearl Harbor Day Saturday will mark the 72 anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the event that directly led to the United States' involvement in World War II. On the fateful morning of Sunday, Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese launched a surprise attack against U.S
- Fundraising event to help local food pantry As a means to generate needed funding for the Rush County Community Assistance Food Pantry, located at 109 East Third Street, the Rushville Pharmacy is hosting a Candy Cottage decorating fundraising event. Participates have already constructed and de
- One step at a time The goal of Changing Foot-prints is simple; no one should go without adequate, protective foot wear. Changing Footprints realizes the great need for shoes around the world as protection from disease and a gateway to education. It is because of this n
- Briefs INDIANAPOLIS - Mayors from across Indiana are gearing up for a fight to protect a state business tax that produces nearly $1 billion in annual revenue for local governments, libraries and schools. Republican leaders in the Statehouse say getting rid
- Commissioners closing out 2013 business Following Monday's meeting, the trio of Bruce Levi, Mark Bacon and Ken Masters have two remaining county commissioner meetings for the year, Dec. 16 and Dec 30. It was announced this week that beginning with the Jan. 13 meeting, county commissioner m
- City leaders finalize ambulance cost Members of the Rushville City Council met earlier this weeks and began putting a wrap on issues requiring their attention for 2013. City council meetings are open to the public and the final council meeting will be held at 6 p.m., Dec. 17 in the coun
- Events canceled The Lion wrestling meet with Triton Central and the boys freshman basketball game schedule for Thursday have been canceled.
- More News Headlines