Rushville Republican

January 28, 2014

If I am in an automobile accident, who do I call?

By Kate Thurston Rushville Republican
Rushville Republican

---- — When someone is involved in an automobile accident, a few rules must be followed in order to makes things go smoothly.

First off, the person must call either 911 or the Rush County Police Department at 932-3907. At this point, dispatchers can direct police on where the accident is located and get help on the way. Drivers must never leave the scene of an accident.

“When someone has an accident, it must be reported to the police department within 72 hours,” assistant chief of police Todd Click said.

All accidents, big or small, must be reported.

GEICO encourages drivers to turn on hazard lights, exchange insurance information, take pictures of the accident scene and most importantly make sure no in is critically injured.

The police department also can be contacted if a vehicle is stalled.

“The police will act as if the car stalled is a road hazard,” Click said. “We will help the motorist with contacting a towing service such as Davis Towing.”

Davis towing can be reached at 932-3884. Davis Towing also can help if you lock your keys in your vehicle. “The police no longer does this, but Davis Towing can help,” Click added.

For all non-emergency calls, the police can be reached at 932-3907.

Contact: Kate Thurston at 765-932-2222, ext. 105