Rushville Republican

January 28, 2014

Over extend power source to blame in Milroy fire

By Frank Denzler Rushville Republican
Rushville Republican

---- — The investigation is now complete into a Jan. 17 fire that claimed a Milroy residence.

According to Anderson Township Volunteer Fire Department fire chief Nick White, an investigator from the state fire marshal’s office determined that the cause of the fire was over loaded electrical outlets.

Shortly after 10 p.m. the evening of the fire, multiple calls were received at the county dispatch center from neighbors and passerby’s reporting that flames could be seen coming from a single story residence located at 219 North Gano Street in the rural community.

Shortly after initial firefighting units from Anderson Township arrived on the scene, a call for mutual aid went out to nearby volunteer departments.

Firefighters battled the fire into the early hours of Jan. 18.

No injuries were reported as a result of battling the fire, and the occupants were not home when the fire broke out.

Fire fighters are quick to add that as temperatures drop to sub-freezing and below, an alarming number of families use small space heaters as a means to heat their homes. Space heaters are a high energy drawing device and should not be used as the sole means to heat a residence and should not be left unattended. It is equally important that they not be placed near furniture and that they are turned off prior to leaving the residence or turning in for the night.

If space heaters are used it is important to plug them directly into a wall or floor outlet as they require more energy than laps and most extension cords are unable to handle the amount of current necessary over a prolonged period of time.

It is also recommended that ovens or stoves are also not used as the primary source of heat for a residence for similar reasons.

Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106.