* Do not leave a space heater on when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep and keep small children away from the unit at all times.
* Electric space heaters should be checked for signs of fraying or splitting wires or overheating. Likewise, electric space heaters frequently cause fires by overloading electrical outlets.
* Keep space heaters away from combustible materials/products.
* When selecting a space heater, look for one that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. These heaters have been determined to meet specific safety standards, and manufacturers are required to provide important use and care information to the consumer.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas produced by the incomplete burning of different fuels including gasoline, kerosene, wood, coal, propane, natural gas and fuel oil. High concentrations of CO can cause illness and excessive levels can be fatal. If you suspect CO in your home, get fresh air immediately and call 911. To prevent CO-lives-060409.html> in your home:
* Make sure all appliances are properly installed and maintained and have a heating professional clean and check your heating and venting system every year.
* Check vents, flue pipes and chimneys for corrosion or blockage.
* Never run a vehicle or fuel-burning equipment in an enclosed place.
* Install at least one CO detector near sleeping areas to add an extra measure of safety.
In the event a gas line has been struck or ruptured outside of a home or business, residents are reminded of the following:
* Leave the area of the gas leak, as well as areas where the odor of gas is noticeable, immediately.
* Do not attempt to re-start or move powered equipment.
* Call Vectren at 1-800-227-1376 from somewhere other than the location of the gas leak. The party responsible for the damage to the gas line should also call 911 and report the incident to police and/or fire officials.