A report of a barn fire was received at the Rush County Sheriff’s Department shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday and resulted in emergency and fire personnel from Anderson Township Volunteer Fire Department responding to the 5000 block of West SR 244.
Initial responders found smoke and flames showing from the Detweiler Cabinet Shop, 5021 West SR 244, and requested assistance from nearby volunteer fire departments Rushville Township and Waldron.
Concerns escalated as flames erupted from the south side of the structure near a free-standing propane tank.
As firefighting units began arriving on the scene, members of the Amish community in the area also began arriving on the scene and started removing product and supplies from the burning building. Those efforts ceased a short time later as the wind-fanned fire began to spread.
Firefighting efforts were hampered by a steady westerly wind that fanned the fire and numerous trips to retrieve water from Milroy nearly five miles away.
As a result of the fire, east and westbound traffic on the state road was rerouted to nearby county roads for nearly three hours.
No immediate cause for the fire was given.
The business sustained extensive damage and the building was considered a total loss.
Firefighters were able to gain the upper hand nearly an hour after arriving by battling the blaze from both inside and outside the burning structure.
Shortly after 5:30 p.m. the fire was extinguished.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire and SR 244 was reopened shortly after 6:30 p.m.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106