Following a threat made on an undisclosed social media outlet, Charles A. Beard Schools were locked down shortly before 11 a.m. Friday. Rush County Schools followed suit a short time later.
According to Rush County Schools Superintendent Dr. John Williams, parents were notified of the security measure via text messages and e-mails.
“We were informed that a threat of some nature had been made and that authorities were seeking a person of interest. They were seeking the unidentified individual to verify if the threat had any credibility,” Dr. Williams said.
“As a means to ensure the safety of the students and faculty, all Rush County Schools were locked down, meaning no students were allowed out or in and no outside recess for elementary students,” Dr. Williams continued.
An emergency plan with safety and security measures at all county schools was already in place and Dr. Williams said it worked to perfection.
The person of interest, who authorities have not identified, was apprehended shortly after noon and the “all clear” was given at 12:40 p.m. At that time the lockdown was lifted.
Dr. Williams credited parents for not showing up at the school during the lockdown, which, he said, only impedes the process. In such situations, parents should await further communication via text and email from the school administration, he said.
Assisting with the investigation were officers from the Knightstown Police Department, Rushville Police Department, Rush County Sheriff’s Department, Henry County Sheriff’s Department and the Indiana State Police.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106