The Rushville Police Department dispatch center received a report of dense smoke coming from a vacant building in the 800 block of West Third Street shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday. The call resulted in multiple units from the Rushville Fire Department responding to the scene.
Some of the first on the scene radioed a short time later to other responding units that flames were visible.
Concerns escalated when torch cutting equipment along with acetylene and propane tanks were discovered in close proximity to the fire.
According to Rushville Fire Chief Chuck Jenkins, workers removing steel in the vacant structure noticed a small fire earlier in the afternoon and thought they had squelched the blaze before leaving for the day.
“Two workers were cutting and removing steel from the building when a small fire ignited earlier in the day. They thought they had properly extinguished it; however, that proved to not be the case and after they left for the day the fire rekindled,” Jenkins said.
Gaining access to the room where the fire erupted proved to be a bit of a challenge for firefighters.
Jenkins said that once inside the structure it only took firefighters a matter of minutes to put it out.
“The building is currently on the unsafe building list for the city and bids to raze the structure are currently being accepted. I believe we will open bids at the October 15 meeting,” the fire chief said.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106