Members of the Rush County Historical Society recently announced that one of the most cherished locations, the Rush County Museum, will extend its hours of operation for two hours (2 to 4 p.m.) each first Sunday of the month beginning April 6.
The Gowdy House Museum, located at 619 North Perkins Street, as well as the Carriage House and the Wash House on the property holds a rich treasure of local history.
Annually, the facility host Children’s Day and many area schools take an annual trip to museum as a means to give young students a glimpse into Rush County’s past.
During the fall of 2011, the museum served as centerpiece of a C-SPAN cable news station documentary as a part of a 14-part series titled: “The Contenders: They Ran & Lost but Changed Political History.” The local segment at that time focused on the 1940 Presidential campaign of Wendell Willkie.
Although Willkie lost to Franklin Roosevelt, Rushville served as the home of the National Presidential Headquarters for the Willkie campaign. The Gowdy House museum contains a number of items from the Willkie campaign as well as other historical items. In all, the local museum has nearly 8,000 items in inventory - original WWII war posters from the 1940’s, a Columbia disc player that plays phonograph cylinders as well as 5-inch disc and old tools to name just a few.
According to historical president John Wilson, in addition to the Sunday hours, the Rush County Museum is open from 9 to 11 a.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
Additional information may be directed to Wilson at 765-663-2157.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106.