Obituaries, See A2 and A3
Donald R. Holbert, 91
James Robert “Jim Bob” McDonald, 70
Helen Elizabeth Johnson Moore, 93
Karen Sue Ogden, 46
Robert E. Orme, 82
Pauline F. Swinford, 87
Phyllis Whipple, 80
Evelyn Mae Wicker, 95
The Rushville Republican thanks the following persons for their subscription to and support of this newspaper:
Mary Ann Higgins
Kroger helping out
Kroger will be raffling off various baskets (all donated items) to raise money for the family of co-manager Chris Hutchings. Hutchings was killed in a car accident in Henry County on his way home to Richmond after working at the Rushville Kroger. The fundraising baskets include movie baskets, candle baskets, spa baskets and many more. Cash donations are also welcome. For more information, contact Jana Dorsey, Kroger Pharmacy Manager, 938-3155 or fax 938-2182 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential flooding areas
With projected warming temperatures in the immediate forecast, listed are a number of low areas prone to flooding in the county. Motorists are urged to use caution during the coming days to these areas: CR 800N southwest of Carthage; Ewbank Covered Bridge on CR 150N; Norris Covered Bridge on CR 300N; CR 715W (Homer/Arlington Pike); CR 225W south of SR 244; Flatrock River Road south of SR 44; CR 800N near CR 450E; CR 650S near the west entrance of Forsythe Covered Bridge.
Not-for-profits may submit upcoming events to email@example.com or 126 S. Main St., Rushville, IN 46173.
• Ivy Tech Community College Richmond Express Registration this week for all prospective and continuing students is from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday on the Richmond campus, 2357 Chester Blvd (I-79 & US 27). Registration continues at the Connersville Learning Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday. For questions and additional information: call 765-966-2656 ext. 1202. Ivy Tech Community College will allow students to continue to register for Spring 2014 classes through Sunday, January 19, due to the inclement weather and the extensive campus closures this week.The Spring 2014 semester will still begin on Monday, January 13, but the college is giving students through the first week of classes to get registered. Traditionally, a student must register prior to the start of classes.
• The RCGS meeting this month will be at 11 a.m., Saturday at the Rushville Elks, 223 E. 3rd Street.
• The Rush County 4-H Family Fun Fest will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Root Building on the Rush County Fairgrounds. There will be activities and displays for youth in grades Kindergarten through grade 12. Feel free to stop by and pick up an enrollment form, or check out a project that you’ve always wondered about. Feel free to share the information with your friends who would like to know more about 4-H. Anyone in grades 3 through 12 can join, and there will also be Cloverbud activities for Kindergarten, first, and second graders.
• National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) Association, Indiana Chapter 0813, has a monthly meeting at 10 a.m., on the third Tuesday of each month at the Ponderosa Steakhouse, corner of North Lincoln St. and Fourth St., Greensburg. Optional lunch afterward. We have guest speakers on a variety of topics, interesting programs, and items discussed. Come meet your current and retired Federal Employee comrades. For more information, call (765) 629 2720.
• The Relay for Life for Rush County will hold a committee meeting at 6 p.m. in the council champbers and a team captain meeting at 7 p.m. in the council chambers. Upcoming committee meetings will be at 6 p.m. in the council chambers on Feb. 20, March 20, April 17 and May 15. Upcoming team captain meetings will be at 7 p.m. in the council chambers on Feb. 20, March 20, April 17 and May 15.
• Columbus Star Quilters’ Guild regularly scheduled meeting will be held Feb. 5, 2014 at the Masonic Lodge at 4131 Rocky Ford Road, the corner of Taylor and Rocky Ford Roads. All interested persons are welcome to attend. The Quilt Show Committee will discuss plans for the Quilt Show in October. You will not want to miss this meeting as the committee will announce the categories and Challenge for the 2014 Show. The doors open at 8:45 a.m. and the meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. Please bring a Show-and-Tell to share at the meeting. There is no charge to attend.
• The Rushville High School Class of 1964 will be celebrating our 50th class reunion in June and have a few classmates who have not been located. If you have any contact information on David Michael Kalp, Ted Lacy, Byron Thomas, David Stevens or Barbara Moore Scott, please email Sherri Griffis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Raleigh Community Club Dance, 7:30-10:30 p.m., weekly on Saturdays. Live band. Open to all ages.
If you know a ‘64 graduate that has not received information on our upcoming get together, please use the same email to let us know.
• Tox-away Days are the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon at Smiley Avenue. Join in making this a Clean, Green Rush County.
• The community food pantry, 109 East Third Street, Rushville is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Bring photo ID. Donations welcomed.
• In cooperation with the Rush County Food Pantry (RCCA), the Gleaners Mobile Food Bank will be bringing a truck load of food to the Main Street Christian Church parking lot, 615 N. Main St., Rushville, on the first Monday of each month for distribution to local residents.
The distribution will be made between 4 and 6 p.m. Residents will need to bring their own containers (sacks or boxes) to put their food into.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets each Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown. Use the east entrance at the corner of Adams and Locust streets. Information: 765-313-1637.
• Diabetes education classes are held from 5 to 7 p.m. on the first, second, and third Tuesday of each month at Rush Memorial Hospital Skills Lab, second floor. Cost, $10 per class with a $25 refund if all three classes are attended. Info: 765-932-7416 or email@example.com
• Partners for a Healthy Rush County meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Boys & Girls Club. Open to all interested businesses, organizations or individuals in Rush County.
• AA and Al-Anon meet at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church.
• Crossroads Serenity Group, an Al-Anon group, meets from 6 to 7 p.m. every Monday at 333 N. Main Street, Rushville. Information: Gail at 317-642-9112 or Larry at 765-277-9477.
• Veterans, if you have an appointment at the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis call (765) 932-3075, seven to 10 days in advance, to arrange a ride in the DAV van. Veterans who need a ride sooner call (765) 561-5445 or (765) 932-2703.
• Rush County Victims Assistance, Inc., monthly meeting on the third Monday of each month at 6 p.m. For location contact the office at 938-1555. The public always is invited. Info: Barbara Kuhn at 938-1555.