Rushville Republican

December 31, 2013

Flood damage needs to be reported

By Frank Denzler Rushville Republican
Rushville Republican

---- — County EMA Director Chuck Kemker recently said that last week’s flooding was unique in that the eastern part of Rush County was not only the last to report high water and flooding, but also the last in which flood waters began to subside.

According to Kemker, the county received between five to six inches of rain during a 36 hour period, with flood stage realized in Rushville shortly before noon on Dec. 21 with water levels cresting at 16.93 feet. It was nearly 72 hours later when water levels went below flood stage in Rushville.

“We were really close to having to put sand bags on the levee. It was learned that the levee has to have sand bags in place prior to water reaching 19 feet,” Kemker said.

Water levels in Raleigh reached 10.83 feet while in Carthage near Big Blue River and the Carthage Water treatment plant levels crested at 11.96 feet.

“I was very proud of the help we received. City employees and CERT team members bagged roughly 20 sand bags in a relatively short period of time in the event we would need them,” Kemker added.

Flooding in the city limits was realized nearly 18 hours after rain began to fall - with flooding realized near South Veterans Memorial Park when Hodges Branch overflowed its banks. The high water caused road closures in the 900 block of North Arthur Street and the 900 block of North Sexton Street.

Kemker continued by saying that 50 locations throughout the county required high water signage at one time or another.

“Every report of high water that was received by the county dispatch center was checked out by law enforcement personnel, county highway personnel or myself,” Kemker said.

The EMA director also said that in the event the storm damage statewide was deemed significant enough to warrant a disaster, any local residents that sustained damage as a result of flooding or high water needs to contact state officials online at:

He continued by saying that individuals will be asked to provide their name, address contact information and the type of damage sustained.

“Loses can include structural damage to homes and losses of personal property,” Kemker said.

Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106.