Before turning in for the night, residents are asked to take a quick trip through their residence to make sure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished.
Other safety measures families should follow:
- If artificial trees or wreaths are used inside the home it is important to make sure they are fire retardant.
- If live trees are used it is important to keep them moist.
- All trees (real or artificial) should not be placed near heat sources such a fireplaces, space heaters, radiators and heat vents.
- Holiday lights should be in good working order and unplugged nightly.
- Do not use multiple extension cords to extend the length of light strands.
- Strand of lights that are cracked or have frayed wires should be properly disposed of and not used,
Candles should be extinguished when leaving the room or turning in for the night. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Candles should be placed out of the reach of children.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106.