Kathryn “Kay” Begley, 94
Thomas Worth Pitts, 59
Charles F. Shields, 72
Sheila Mae VanNatta, 51
The Rushville Republican thanks the following persons for their subscription to and support of this newspaper:
Lincoln birthday celebration
The Rush County Historical and Genealogical Society jointly will host a Lincoln birthday celebration beginning at 7 p.m., Wednesday at the 201 Building. The event is free and open to the public and a Lincoln impersonator will present a program. Free will donations and non-perishable food items for the local food pantry will be accepted.
RCS extended hours
The State Department of Education is allowing school corporations to make-up missed time by adding additional instructional time to current calendar school days. Rush County Schools will use Wednesdays (normally an early dismissal day) to make up this time.
Beginning Wednesday, schools will dismiss 55 minutes later than normal. Doing so for the next 14 Wednesdays (Feb. 12 through May 21) allows students enough time to make up the required hours for two days. This now means the students last day will be Friday, May 23 and teachers last day will be Tuesday, May 27. Graduation will remain at 2 p.m. on June 8.
The monthly Rush County Sheriff’s Merit and Pension Board meetings that had been scheduled for Feb. 5 have been rescheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Rush County Courthouse Assembly Room.
Not-for-profits may submit upcoming events to firstname.lastname@example.org or 126 S. Main St., Rushville, IN 46173.
• The Rush County Health Department will hold their next Senior Screening on Wednesday, Feb. 12 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Rush Co. Senior Center. The screenings includes weight, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, hemoglobin and blood sugar. Also, health education will be included during the screening program. Referrals to private physicians will be made when needed. This is available to all Rush Co. senior citizens at no cost. Any questions may be directed to 765-932-3103.
• The Rushville American Legion Post 150 will be hosting an all you can eat Spaghetti Supper from 5 to 7 p.m. Feb. 14, 2014 at the Post. Tickets are $7 for adults and $3.50 for children 10-and-under. Entertainment for the evening will be Karaoke.
• The Knights of Columbus will hold a Valentine’s Dinner/Dance from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and the dance from 8 to 10:30 p.m. Dinner will be spaghetti, salad, french bread and wine. A wine tasting be be available as well. Tickets are $30 a couple or $20 single. All proceeds go to the Gibault School for Boys. For more information, call 765-561-0399.
• Fathers and students of the Mays Elementary School chapter of All Pro Dads will meet at 7:25 a.m. on Feb. 18 for their monthly breakfast meeting. For more information, contact Matt Vance at email@example.com.
• Knights of Columbus will host an all you can eat chicken dinner open to the public Saturday, Feb. 22 from 5-7:30 p.m. at 227 E 3rd Street.
Cost will be $10 for adults and $6 for children. An additional $1 will be charged for a meal with all white meat. All you can eat meals are restricted to dine-in only. Carry out will be available. For more information contact Willie Wilson at 932-2277.
The Manilla Town & Country Homemakers Club will have a dinner meeting at 6 p.m. on Wed., Feb. 26 at the Cow Palace in Shelbyville. Marjorie Carmony will be the hostess. Doris Drake will give devotions. Roll Call: Name a favorite recipe. Sharon Wooley will give a program on “Recipe Makeover.”
• The Rushville High School Class of 1964 will be celebrating our 50th class reunion in June and have a few classmates who have not been located. If you have any contact information on David Michael Kalp, Ted Lacy, Byron Thomas, David Stevens, Barbara Moore Scott, Norman Boyer, Connie Carlin, Michael Clifford, Gary Nixon, Jack Swegman or Rose Wilkinson, please email Sherri Griffis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) Association, Indiana Chapter 0813, has a monthly meeting at 10 a.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Ponderosa Steakhouse, corner of North Lincoln St. and Fourth St., Greensburg. Optional lunch afterward. We have guest speakers on a variety of topics, interesting programs, and items discussed. Come meet your current and retired Federal Employee comrades. For more information call (765) 629 2720.
• Raleigh Community Club Dance, 7:30-10:30 p.m., weekly on Saturdays. Live band. Open to all ages.
If you know a ‘64 graduate that has not received information on our upcoming get together, please use the same email to let us know.
• Tox-away Days are the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to noon at Smiley Avenue. Join in making this a Clean, Green Rush County.
• The community food pantry, 109 East Third Street, Rushville is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Bring photo ID. Donations welcomed.
• In cooperation with the Rush County Food Pantry (RCCA), the Gleaners Mobile Food Bank will be bringing a truck load of food to the Main Street Christian Church parking lot, 615 N. Main St., Rushville, on the first Monday of each month for distribution to local residents.
The distribution will be made between 4 and 6 p.m. Residents will need to bring their own containers (sacks or boxes) to put their food into.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets each Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown. Use the east entrance at the corner of Adams and Locust streets. Information: 765-313-1637.
• Diabetes education classes are held from 5 to 7 p.m. on the first, second, and third Tuesday of each month at Rush Memorial Hospital Skills Lab, second floor. Cost, $10 per class with a $25 refund if all three classes are attended. Info: 765-932-7416 or email@example.com
• Partners for a Healthy Rush County meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Boys & Girls Club. Open to all interested businesses, organizations or individuals in Rush County.
• AA and Al-Anon meet at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church.
• Crossroads Serenity Group, an Al-Anon group, meets from 6 to 7 p.m. every Monday at 333 N. Main Street, Rushville. Information: Gail at 317-642-9112 or Larry at 765-277-9477.
• Veterans, if you have an appointment at the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis call (765) 932-3075, seven to 10 days in advance, to arrange a ride in the DAV van. Veterans who need a ride sooner call (765) 561-5445 or (765) 932-2703.
• Rush County Victims Assistance, Inc., monthly meeting on the third Monday of each month at 6 p.m. For location contact the office at 938-1555. The public always is invited. Info: Barbara Kuhn at 938-1555.