We begin this week with a heightened sense of safety and security for our students, parents and personnel. As we process what has taken place at Sandy Hook Elementary, we are keenly aware that their children and administrators are our children and administrators. Their loss and grief is our loss and grief. And so we talk, cry and cope in whatever way helps ease this senseless loss of life. Certainly, we will hug our kids, spouses and friends a bit tighter as they head back to school this day.
As we absorb the circumstances of these events, we urge you to be keenly aware that each of us processes this scenario in a variety of ways from crying to talking, writing, drawing, painting and withdrawal. Above all, be open and honest with your student(s), realizing that words and descriptions should be age appropriate. For smaller children, constant TV coverage might appear to be “new” to them every time they see this story. Your efforts in how much coverage they see will be beneficial.
Rest assured that Rush County Schools has been very proactive with their security measures. All schools are locked during school hours and entry is only accessible at a main entrance after visual and verbal confirmation. Video cameras assure added safety. All schools practice fire, tornado and intruder drills on a consistent basis and an Emergency Plan is in place.
“All Rush County Schools have been vigilant toward communication and preparation for a variety of emergency situations. Our teachers and administrators are keenly aware that the safety of all our students is paramount. Parents can take comfort in knowing we are a safe and great place to be,” stated RCS superintendent Dr. John Williams.
Legacy Fund Director/Information Officer, Rush County Schools
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- Letters to the Editor Thanks to volunteer fire departments Dear Editor, We would like to take this opportunity to give a very special thank you to the Anderson Twp. Volunteer Fire Department and first responders, Clarksburg Volunteer Fire Dept. and Rushville Twp. Voluntee
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I want to express my appreciation to all who cared for me at Rush Memorial Hospital and Miller's Merry Manor during my recent accident and recovery. A special thanks to the therapy department at Miller's for their patience and
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I would like to thank Monte Sitton and all others for a great job cleaning the streets of Manilla. I think Rush County and the state did a great job for what they had to deal with. Thanks again. Vicki Weitzel Manilla Letter to
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, We want to thank all who came to our 50th wedding anniversary and made it a perfect success. Love you all, Bill & Kay Beadle Thank you Dear Editor, R.U.S.H., Rushville United Santa Helpers, formally Toys for Tots, would like to
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I wish to thank each one of you for your phone calls, visits, cards and gifts in honor of my Aunt Dorothy Crawley's 100th birthday. Each one of you brought great joy and happiness to her on her very special day. Following is he
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor: From the family of Anna Laker, we would like to thank all our friends for the kind words, to Father Jeremy Gries for his fine services and kind words and a special thank you to Jim Todd for his leadership in our time of loss. A
- Letter to the Editor Dear Editor, The family of Pat Osting thank the Glenwood Fire Department EMT's and Rush Memorial Hospital Ambulance crews, the emergency room staff and Father Jeremy Gries for the mass and being there in her time of need. We thank Jim Todd for his le
- Thank you from the library staff Dear Editor, As we turn the page from 2013 to 2014, the trustees and staff of the Rushville Public Library wish to extend our appreciation to all who supported the library this past year in one fashion or another. Most prominent is the City of Rushvi
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines