I read with interest Paul Barada’s column proposing that the Rushville Library should become a county facility.
Way back in 1990, shortly after I became publisher of the Rushville Republican, I approached the director of the library, informing her that I wished to put the entire resources of the local newspaper behind a drive to convert the city library to a county library.
The director actually turned pale, and in a stunned voice, she declared, “Oh, we could never do that!” When I asked why, she gave me a litany of reasons, none of which I remember, probably because they were invalid. I suspect that the main reason mentioned was the anticipated outcry from Rush County’s wealthy farmers at the rise in their taxes.
My county library crusade was very short-lived. I knew that without the full and active backing of the library management that such an effort would surely fail. I was not aware, until reading Paul’s column, of the effort in the ‘70’s to accomplish the same desired goal which resulted in ignominious failure.
The story that Paul cites of the old fellow who didn’t want to pay a library tax because he couldn’t read perfectly illustrates the point that “the squeaky wheel gets the grease,” wherein a small number of people with loud voices, who will go to the trouble to show up at the critical time, can overshadow a vastly larger number of people (voters) who won’t take the time to participate.
The Rushville Library should have been a county library generations ago, just like libraries in surrounding (and more progressive) counties. Perhaps the time has finally come when such a worthy goal can be accomplished.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to Editor Thanks to RMHDear Editor,Several weeks ago I suffered the symptoms of a stroke while traveling. I called my family doctor’s office, to be sure someone could see me upon my arrival. Immediately I was advised to go to the nearest hospital emergency roo
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,I would like to thank the Mays-Raleigh Fire Dept., Rush Memorial Hospital and ambulance service, St. Vincent Rehab Unit for their excellent service. Also I want to thank Rev. Gries, my wife who stayed at my side for 18 long days
Letters to the Editor
Thank youDear Editor,The family of Earl Reynolds would like to express their sincere appreciation for all the prayers, cards, flowers, donations, food and assistance. We thank you for all your kindness to help us through the very difficult time of lo
- Letter to Editor No excuses for Milroy crashesDear Editor,With consternation and disbelief, I read of yet another crash at the intersection of SR 3 and SR 244 at the west edge of Milroy.There could not be a more clear, seemingly safe, intersection anywhere in the wor
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,The Bacon family would like to thank friends and family who gave flowers, thoughts and prayers during the passing of Bille last month. Don Bacon and his family appreciate all that was done during a great time of need. Thank you s
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor, We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who attended the annual Rush County Community Foundation Day at Stagg’s Dairy Treats and Restaurant on Sunday, May 4. Without the continued support of the Rush County community
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We at Flatrock River Lodge would like to thank everyone for making the 2014 Area 9 Senior Games a great success. A special thanks to Amanda Capps, activities director; Vicki Williams, dietary manager; our staff; volunteers; May
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We would like to thank everyone for all their help and kindness during my husband and our father's illness and death. Especially, Flatrock River Lodge, Decatur County Hospice, the Arlington Church, Mosters and Darrell Cooper of
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines