Senator Richard Lugar could have retired with dignity, but ran again. As a Lugar supporter, I was disappointed he lost the primary (full disclosure: he helped me with issues of Brazilian protectionism for my employer, with other issues for the Eastern Indiana Development District and Henry County, and he appointed me to West Point). However, unlike many Lugar supporters, I immediately closed-ranks behind Republican primary winner, State Treasurer Richard Mourdock.
Mourdock is a fellow distance runner (so, too, is Lugar). Runners are among the most disciplined athletes, not only in training, but also in their careers and personal lives. On a shoe-string budget, Mourdock couldn’t run the most disciplined primary campaign. However, he serves well as a disciplined State Treasurer, unafraid to take on the Obama administration on state employee pensions and other issues.
Lugar supporters should realize sitting on your hands is a bad idea. Indiana has the most manufacturing-dependent economy (Source: National Association of Manufacturers (NAM)). However, the Democrat nominee, Congressman Joe Donnelly, has voted with NAM only 56% of the time. Is such lukewarm support of industry really in Indiana’s best interest?
According to Congressional Quarterly, Donnelly has voted with President Obama 76% of the time, and with his own party 73% of the time. How reflective of Hoosier values are Obama, Pelosi, and Reid?
Mourdock is a geologist and was a Vanderburgh County Commissioner; Donnelly is an attorney. Do we really need another lawyer in Congress? Our country would not be in its present state if we had more variety among professions in Congress.
Often I visit countries whose economies have been held-back by the gravy-train of government spending, robbing from future generations, so present generations can live “high on the hog.” Do we really want to join the ranks of Argentina, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain? Our frugal State Treasurer will take to DC his disciplined approach to government spending.
It is time for ALL Lugar supporters to return to the fold and support Mourdock for US Senate. The alternative is simply not a good fit for Indiana.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I would like to thank Monte Sitton and all others for a great job cleaning the streets of Manilla. I think Rush County and the state did a great job for what they had to deal with. Thanks again. Vicki Weitzel Manilla Letter to
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, We want to thank all who came to our 50th wedding anniversary and made it a perfect success. Love you all, Bill & Kay Beadle Thank you Dear Editor, R.U.S.H., Rushville United Santa Helpers, formally Toys for Tots, would like to
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I wish to thank each one of you for your phone calls, visits, cards and gifts in honor of my Aunt Dorothy Crawley's 100th birthday. Each one of you brought great joy and happiness to her on her very special day. Following is he
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor: From the family of Anna Laker, we would like to thank all our friends for the kind words, to Father Jeremy Gries for his fine services and kind words and a special thank you to Jim Todd for his leadership in our time of loss. A
- Letter to the Editor Dear Editor, The family of Pat Osting thank the Glenwood Fire Department EMT's and Rush Memorial Hospital Ambulance crews, the emergency room staff and Father Jeremy Gries for the mass and being there in her time of need. We thank Jim Todd for his le
- Thank you from the library staff Dear Editor, As we turn the page from 2013 to 2014, the trustees and staff of the Rushville Public Library wish to extend our appreciation to all who supported the library this past year in one fashion or another. Most prominent is the City of Rushvi
- Letter to the Editor Deer me, an amazing sight on Airport Road Dear Editor: A couple of days ago, Marilyn had to arise at 2:40 a.m. in order to be at her desk at the Richmond Kmart at 5 a.m. I happened to be awake at the time as she looked out one of our upstairs bedroom
- Letters to the Editor Thank you from Reality Store Dear Editor, MainSource Bank would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Corporate Sponsors: MainSource Bank, Duke Energy, Beta Sigma Phi NuGamma Sorority, RushShelby Energy, Copeland, Intat, and Pizza King of
- Letters to the Editor A solution needs to be found Dear Editor, As a retired Deputy Sheriff with 35 years of experience in Rush County Law Enforcement. I now find myself a Seasoned Citizen of Rushville who must rely on the Rushville Police Department to deter crime and p
- Letter to the Editor Indy cop no longer "exemplary" Dear Editor: In reporting on the recent court case involving an Indianapolis police officer, an Indianapolis television reporter just announced that "Officer Bisard had been an exemplary officer for years." I would offe
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines