Senator Richard Lugar could have retired with dignity, but ran again. As a Lugar supporter, I was disappointed he lost the primary (full disclosure: he helped me with issues of Brazilian protectionism for my employer, with other issues for the Eastern Indiana Development District and Henry County, and he appointed me to West Point). However, unlike many Lugar supporters, I immediately closed-ranks behind Republican primary winner, State Treasurer Richard Mourdock.
Mourdock is a fellow distance runner (so, too, is Lugar). Runners are among the most disciplined athletes, not only in training, but also in their careers and personal lives. On a shoe-string budget, Mourdock couldn’t run the most disciplined primary campaign. However, he serves well as a disciplined State Treasurer, unafraid to take on the Obama administration on state employee pensions and other issues.
Lugar supporters should realize sitting on your hands is a bad idea. Indiana has the most manufacturing-dependent economy (Source: National Association of Manufacturers (NAM)). However, the Democrat nominee, Congressman Joe Donnelly, has voted with NAM only 56% of the time. Is such lukewarm support of industry really in Indiana’s best interest?
According to Congressional Quarterly, Donnelly has voted with President Obama 76% of the time, and with his own party 73% of the time. How reflective of Hoosier values are Obama, Pelosi, and Reid?
Mourdock is a geologist and was a Vanderburgh County Commissioner; Donnelly is an attorney. Do we really need another lawyer in Congress? Our country would not be in its present state if we had more variety among professions in Congress.
Often I visit countries whose economies have been held-back by the gravy-train of government spending, robbing from future generations, so present generations can live “high on the hog.” Do we really want to join the ranks of Argentina, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain? Our frugal State Treasurer will take to DC his disciplined approach to government spending.
It is time for ALL Lugar supporters to return to the fold and support Mourdock for US Senate. The alternative is simply not a good fit for Indiana.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to Editor Thanks to RMHDear Editor,Several weeks ago I suffered the symptoms of a stroke while traveling. I called my family doctor’s office, to be sure someone could see me upon my arrival. Immediately I was advised to go to the nearest hospital emergency roo
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,I would like to thank the Mays-Raleigh Fire Dept., Rush Memorial Hospital and ambulance service, St. Vincent Rehab Unit for their excellent service. Also I want to thank Rev. Gries, my wife who stayed at my side for 18 long days
Letters to the Editor
Thank youDear Editor,The family of Earl Reynolds would like to express their sincere appreciation for all the prayers, cards, flowers, donations, food and assistance. We thank you for all your kindness to help us through the very difficult time of lo
- Letter to Editor No excuses for Milroy crashesDear Editor,With consternation and disbelief, I read of yet another crash at the intersection of SR 3 and SR 244 at the west edge of Milroy.There could not be a more clear, seemingly safe, intersection anywhere in the wor
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,The Bacon family would like to thank friends and family who gave flowers, thoughts and prayers during the passing of Bille last month. Don Bacon and his family appreciate all that was done during a great time of need. Thank you s
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor, We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who attended the annual Rush County Community Foundation Day at Stagg’s Dairy Treats and Restaurant on Sunday, May 4. Without the continued support of the Rush County community
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We at Flatrock River Lodge would like to thank everyone for making the 2014 Area 9 Senior Games a great success. A special thanks to Amanda Capps, activities director; Vicki Williams, dietary manager; our staff; volunteers; May
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We would like to thank everyone for all their help and kindness during my husband and our father's illness and death. Especially, Flatrock River Lodge, Decatur County Hospice, the Arlington Church, Mosters and Darrell Cooper of
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines