I’m painfully aware that most people will go to any lengths to avoid facing reality; however, a cognizant few must realize that we have entered a period of sheer insanity in the matter of guns.
The sales of quasi assault rifles and semi-automatic pistols are soaring. Millions of otherwise sane citizens now feel they must own at least one of these evil weapons, preferably with a couple of 30-round clips.
Justifications for owning such weapons range from ridiculous to downright nuts.
Many still attempt to justify their purchase as being “hunting-related.” Of course we all know that to be a farce. Many others state they need these rapid-firing weapons for “self-protection.” Protection from whom? Have home break-ins and/or muggings suddenly become a daily threat for the average citizen? Statistics won’t back that up.
Now, to further illustrate our new crazed obsession with guns, there’s a growing move afoot to arm college students.
I’m sure you’ve all seen pictures in newspapers of large crowds of college students “demonstrating” (rioting) during which events they drag overstuffed furniture outside and set fire to it, while many of the “demonstrators” are falling-down drunk or puking their guts out. Now consider the same out-of-control campus situation but every student has a gun. Gee, what do you suppose could go wrong?
There is utterly no reason for any citizen, apart from law enforcement officers and the military, to possess an assault-type weapon. No, none, so spare me your lame arguments and phony justifications.
This new gun obsession is fundamentally changing the makeup of our nation as we rapidly become less civilized.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,I would like to thank the Mays-Raleigh Fire Dept., Rush Memorial Hospital and ambulance service, St. Vincent Rehab Unit for their excellent service. Also I want to thank Rev. Gries, my wife who stayed at my side for 18 long days
Letters to the Editor
Thank youDear Editor,The family of Earl Reynolds would like to express their sincere appreciation for all the prayers, cards, flowers, donations, food and assistance. We thank you for all your kindness to help us through the very difficult time of lo
- Letter to Editor No excuses for Milroy crashesDear Editor,With consternation and disbelief, I read of yet another crash at the intersection of SR 3 and SR 244 at the west edge of Milroy.There could not be a more clear, seemingly safe, intersection anywhere in the wor
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,The Bacon family would like to thank friends and family who gave flowers, thoughts and prayers during the passing of Bille last month. Don Bacon and his family appreciate all that was done during a great time of need. Thank you s
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor, We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who attended the annual Rush County Community Foundation Day at Stagg’s Dairy Treats and Restaurant on Sunday, May 4. Without the continued support of the Rush County community
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We at Flatrock River Lodge would like to thank everyone for making the 2014 Area 9 Senior Games a great success. A special thanks to Amanda Capps, activities director; Vicki Williams, dietary manager; our staff; volunteers; May
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We would like to thank everyone for all their help and kindness during my husband and our father's illness and death. Especially, Flatrock River Lodge, Decatur County Hospice, the Arlington Church, Mosters and Darrell Cooper of
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- Letters to the Editor Thanks to volunteer fire departments Dear Editor, We would like to take this opportunity to give a very special thank you to the Anderson Twp. Volunteer Fire Department and first responders, Clarksburg Volunteer Fire Dept. and Rushville Twp. Voluntee
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines