The trustees of the Rushville Public Library Board are occasionally asked why nothing is happening with the library renovation. You may recall that about one year ago we celebrated the razing of the building donated by Carter Lanning as a major step toward expansion. We asked the public at that time to renew support of our Raise to Raze fund to be used to remove the remaining brick building north of the library and to meet budget shortfalls related to the renovation efforts.
The response was much appreciated, but limited.
In late summer the trustees authorized a new fund raising committee. This enthusiastic group, under the able leadership of Mary Page, began taking the steps to develop a capital campaign. With the generous support of library patrons, the library was able to match the funds required to complete the application for an OCRA grant and to dive into a feasibility study.
With the assistance of Indiana Landmarks and Rush County Heritage, the board retained the architectural firm of Odle, McGuire and Shook, designers of the existing building, to draw plans to enhance and expand the Rushville Public Library and to bring it up to ADA standards, among other improvements.
We write you so that the community will know that an absence of activity on the outside does not mean that “nothing is happening” at the library.
In addition to the excitement of this renewed interest in the renovation, the day-to-day business handled by our industrious staff remains steady.
Stop in sometime and take a look around. Ask questions.
After the new year, we hope to be meeting with many of you in the community to get your feedback and, with your support, begin a process that could rejuvenate the Rushville Public Library, Rushville, and Rush County.
Thank you for your support,
Rushville Public Library Board of Trustees
Robert Hadley, President
Laura Steenstrup, Vice-president
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I would like to thank Monte Sitton and all others for a great job cleaning the streets of Manilla. I think Rush County and the state did a great job for what they had to deal with. Thanks again. Vicki Weitzel Manilla Letter to
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, We want to thank all who came to our 50th wedding anniversary and made it a perfect success. Love you all, Bill & Kay Beadle Thank you Dear Editor, R.U.S.H., Rushville United Santa Helpers, formally Toys for Tots, would like to
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I wish to thank each one of you for your phone calls, visits, cards and gifts in honor of my Aunt Dorothy Crawley's 100th birthday. Each one of you brought great joy and happiness to her on her very special day. Following is he
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor: From the family of Anna Laker, we would like to thank all our friends for the kind words, to Father Jeremy Gries for his fine services and kind words and a special thank you to Jim Todd for his leadership in our time of loss. A
- Letter to the Editor Dear Editor, The family of Pat Osting thank the Glenwood Fire Department EMT's and Rush Memorial Hospital Ambulance crews, the emergency room staff and Father Jeremy Gries for the mass and being there in her time of need. We thank Jim Todd for his le
- Thank you from the library staff Dear Editor, As we turn the page from 2013 to 2014, the trustees and staff of the Rushville Public Library wish to extend our appreciation to all who supported the library this past year in one fashion or another. Most prominent is the City of Rushvi
- Letter to the Editor Deer me, an amazing sight on Airport Road Dear Editor: A couple of days ago, Marilyn had to arise at 2:40 a.m. in order to be at her desk at the Richmond Kmart at 5 a.m. I happened to be awake at the time as she looked out one of our upstairs bedroom
- Letters to the Editor Thank you from Reality Store Dear Editor, MainSource Bank would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Corporate Sponsors: MainSource Bank, Duke Energy, Beta Sigma Phi NuGamma Sorority, RushShelby Energy, Copeland, Intat, and Pizza King of
- Letters to the Editor A solution needs to be found Dear Editor, As a retired Deputy Sheriff with 35 years of experience in Rush County Law Enforcement. I now find myself a Seasoned Citizen of Rushville who must rely on the Rushville Police Department to deter crime and p
- Letter to the Editor Indy cop no longer "exemplary" Dear Editor: In reporting on the recent court case involving an Indianapolis police officer, an Indianapolis television reporter just announced that "Officer Bisard had been an exemplary officer for years." I would offe
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines