The trustees of the Rushville Public Library Board are occasionally asked why nothing is happening with the library renovation. You may recall that about one year ago we celebrated the razing of the building donated by Carter Lanning as a major step toward expansion. We asked the public at that time to renew support of our Raise to Raze fund to be used to remove the remaining brick building north of the library and to meet budget shortfalls related to the renovation efforts.
The response was much appreciated, but limited.
In late summer the trustees authorized a new fund raising committee. This enthusiastic group, under the able leadership of Mary Page, began taking the steps to develop a capital campaign. With the generous support of library patrons, the library was able to match the funds required to complete the application for an OCRA grant and to dive into a feasibility study.
With the assistance of Indiana Landmarks and Rush County Heritage, the board retained the architectural firm of Odle, McGuire and Shook, designers of the existing building, to draw plans to enhance and expand the Rushville Public Library and to bring it up to ADA standards, among other improvements.
We write you so that the community will know that an absence of activity on the outside does not mean that “nothing is happening” at the library.
In addition to the excitement of this renewed interest in the renovation, the day-to-day business handled by our industrious staff remains steady.
Stop in sometime and take a look around. Ask questions.
After the new year, we hope to be meeting with many of you in the community to get your feedback and, with your support, begin a process that could rejuvenate the Rushville Public Library, Rushville, and Rush County.
Thank you for your support,
Rushville Public Library Board of Trustees
Robert Hadley, President
Laura Steenstrup, Vice-president
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to Editor Thanks to RMHDear Editor,Several weeks ago I suffered the symptoms of a stroke while traveling. I called my family doctor’s office, to be sure someone could see me upon my arrival. Immediately I was advised to go to the nearest hospital emergency roo
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,I would like to thank the Mays-Raleigh Fire Dept., Rush Memorial Hospital and ambulance service, St. Vincent Rehab Unit for their excellent service. Also I want to thank Rev. Gries, my wife who stayed at my side for 18 long days
Letters to the Editor
Thank youDear Editor,The family of Earl Reynolds would like to express their sincere appreciation for all the prayers, cards, flowers, donations, food and assistance. We thank you for all your kindness to help us through the very difficult time of lo
- Letter to Editor No excuses for Milroy crashesDear Editor,With consternation and disbelief, I read of yet another crash at the intersection of SR 3 and SR 244 at the west edge of Milroy.There could not be a more clear, seemingly safe, intersection anywhere in the wor
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor,The Bacon family would like to thank friends and family who gave flowers, thoughts and prayers during the passing of Bille last month. Don Bacon and his family appreciate all that was done during a great time of need. Thank you s
- Letter to the Editor Thank youDear Editor, We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who attended the annual Rush County Community Foundation Day at Stagg’s Dairy Treats and Restaurant on Sunday, May 4. Without the continued support of the Rush County community
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We at Flatrock River Lodge would like to thank everyone for making the 2014 Area 9 Senior Games a great success. A special thanks to Amanda Capps, activities director; Vicki Williams, dietary manager; our staff; volunteers; May
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor, We would like to thank everyone for all their help and kindness during my husband and our father's illness and death. Especially, Flatrock River Lodge, Decatur County Hospice, the Arlington Church, Mosters and Darrell Cooper of
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines