The Delaware County Circuit Court recently ruled that Ball State University could forcibly take private property to build a hotel. As if this decision wasn’t horrible enough, BSU is also insisting that the victims of the decision should be required to post a $1 million appeal bond before another court can re-hear the case.
As we continue our decline into a state of unlimited government, we all need to remember that under the court’s rationale, if a state college decided to open a satellite school anywhere, any neighboring property would be fair game for any reason. If taking property to build a hotel because people visiting the university might stay in that hotel passes muster, it is hard to imagine a scenario where any taking couldn’t be justified by a court.
More and more, this old quote hits home:
“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.” -- Martin Niemöller
We may not own a printing company, and we may not live in Muncie, but if we care at all about the right to own property, we need to speak up. Now.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letters to the Editor A solution needs to be found Dear Editor, As a retired Deputy Sheriff with 35 years of experience in Rush County Law Enforcement. I now find myself a Seasoned Citizen of Rushville who must rely on the Rushville Police Department to deter crime and p
- Letter to the Editor Indy cop no longer "exemplary" Dear Editor: In reporting on the recent court case involving an Indianapolis police officer, an Indianapolis television reporter just announced that "Officer Bisard had been an exemplary officer for years." I would offe
- Letters to the Editor Local library systems still living in the past Dear Editor: I commenced to read with interest and high hopes the P-1 story in the Friday, Nov. 22, edition of the Rushville Republican headed, "Library expansion proposal heard." It didn't take long for
- Letters to the Editor Who knows everything? Nobody, that's who! Dear Editor: All the foofaraw currently going on in much of the world about "spying" is really a full load of nonsense. You could fertilize your garden with it. All countries spy on each other - always have a
- Letter to the Editor Beware those heathen Catholics! Dear Editor, I continue to be amazed that hidebound Republicans continue to defend, even admire, the actions of Sarah Palin, who continues to demonstrate her slim grasp on reality and seeming lack of ordinary intellige
- Letters to the editor Thank you Dear Editor: The family of Dick Reed wishes to thank everyone for the prayers, cards and visits for him during his illness and after his death. Special thanks to Ann and Dick Moster for the care and concern they showed in
- Letter to the Editor A refreshing moment Dear Editor: I had occasion to compliment a young waitress one day last week. She refilled my coffee cup and when I said, "Thank you," she actually replied "You're welcome." How nice to hear
- Rich Traditions Rich Traditions Rich Traditions Dear Editor: Thanksgiving is a time for so many to have great family, church, and community traditions, all rich in their own way, as well as provide many fond memories. That's the badge that Rushville holds for th
- Letter to the editor The value of what you are selling Dear Editor, Herschel used to be a mailman in Hagerstown, and he was also a painter on the side. About 40 years ago he approached me with his arm in a sling, and told me he had a ladder I could hav
- Discovery about diplomacy Children of the Republic are you awake? We are few in number and dwindling; our children will not even know that we were founded as a republic not a democratic nation soon although; I fear that this is the case already. I have so many times thought
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines