The Mike Lacy I knew was a man who lived in the past. We only spent time with each other a few years, in high school and for a few years after. Mike and I shared a love of old movies, TV shows, music, and classic radio programs. Along with friends, we participated in parades in Rushville and other activities, dressing as the Marx Brothers with Mike portraying W.C. Fields (this was when Mike was heavier and before he became his svelte self).
He amazed me by playing tape recordings of phone calls he had made to the man who had done the voice of Popeye and to the woman who was Betty Boop. Mike also loved the avante garde movies of John Waters and even made his own short films.
I became re-acquainted with Mike after he had experienced a bout of unfavorable notoriety. Mike was gracious in being forthcoming in telling the circumstances that had landed him in the situation he found himself in. That he was also highly entertaining in relating his story just showed that Mike was a born entertainer. Indeed, at that time he played piano for local theatricals, as well as working as a bartender at the Durbin Hotel.
On the wall of the stairway to his second floor apartment in Rushville, Mike even expressed his love of past things by painting “House of the Past.” Mike was a square peg in Rushville and he finally moved to Indianapolis and I lost touch with him then.
Time flies by in life and as you get older; the day comes when news arrives of the deaths of friends you haven’t seen in decades. Hearing such always comes as a shock. You feel the sadness that the person you once laughed with is no longer here. These days, I don’t laugh as much as I once did. Mike Lacy made me laugh often. So now I think of him and I smile. A lot.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Greetings and salutations Dear Editor, Throughout history, there have been many accepted and commonly used ways of referring to the two genders as a pair or group. Herewith are just a sampling of them, to-wit: • Men and Women--always safe, but rather
- Letter to the editor Dear Editor: The board, staff, and fundraising committee of the Rushville Public Library wish to thank the many wonderful people who helped make our recent fund-raising event, "Love Your Library Rendezvous", a great success. More than 35 individuals,
- Letters to the Editor Thanks to volunteer fire departments Dear Editor, We would like to take this opportunity to give a very special thank you to the Anderson Twp. Volunteer Fire Department and first responders, Clarksburg Volunteer Fire Dept. and Rushville Twp. Voluntee
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I want to express my appreciation to all who cared for me at Rush Memorial Hospital and Miller's Merry Manor during my recent accident and recovery. A special thanks to the therapy department at Miller's for their patience and
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I would like to thank Monte Sitton and all others for a great job cleaning the streets of Manilla. I think Rush County and the state did a great job for what they had to deal with. Thanks again. Vicki Weitzel Manilla Letter to
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, We want to thank all who came to our 50th wedding anniversary and made it a perfect success. Love you all, Bill & Kay Beadle Thank you Dear Editor, R.U.S.H., Rushville United Santa Helpers, formally Toys for Tots, would like to
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I wish to thank each one of you for your phone calls, visits, cards and gifts in honor of my Aunt Dorothy Crawley's 100th birthday. Each one of you brought great joy and happiness to her on her very special day. Following is he
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor: From the family of Anna Laker, we would like to thank all our friends for the kind words, to Father Jeremy Gries for his fine services and kind words and a special thank you to Jim Todd for his leadership in our time of loss. A
- Letter to the Editor Dear Editor, The family of Pat Osting thank the Glenwood Fire Department EMT's and Rush Memorial Hospital Ambulance crews, the emergency room staff and Father Jeremy Gries for the mass and being there in her time of need. We thank Jim Todd for his le
- Thank you from the library staff Dear Editor, As we turn the page from 2013 to 2014, the trustees and staff of the Rushville Public Library wish to extend our appreciation to all who supported the library this past year in one fashion or another. Most prominent is the City of Rushvi
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines