The writer of a lengthy letter to the Indianapolis Star finally admitted what much of the gun craze is about but nobody mentions. He wrote, “There is also good reason... that the right to arm ourselves against an overreaching and intrusive government...”
The gun craze can be attributed to many factors. Here are some of them:
* The “lemming effect.” This is the penchant suffered by most people to do exactly what everyone else is doing. Whether it be this year’s child’s doll, an electronic game, or clothing fashions, the majority of people MUST have what everybody else is getting, and have it right now! Hence, thousands of people who know nothing about guns and have absolutely no need to own one are nevertheless rushing out to make the purchase.
* Some of these gun purchases have been made by people hoping to resell them at at a large profit. These guns will probably never be fired by the original owners.
* Guns, particularly assault-type weapons, are seen by the electronic game generation as just another version of those games; they don’t even realize that they are now in possession of a deadly weapon and think of it as a toy. We must hope they don’t try to reenact those electronic games in the real world.
* Lastly, and by far the most important, are the millions who have vague thoughts that they may someday be called upon to use their weapons against our own government. These people, who are easily influenced and swayed, have been brain-washed by the extreme radical right wing which preaches constant hate for our government.
These Americans who are arming themselves in order to, at some fuzzy and distant point in our future, take up arms against the government, are, of course, living in an ugly fantasy world.
These people would like to turn back the clock to the 1950s. It won’t happen, but in their deluded minds they like to think they can make it come to pass.
There are times I, too, would like to see life in these United States be like it was in the 1950s, but we must live in the present and cope with life as it currently exists.
I’m a gun owner, but I see no effective rationalization for owning assault-type weapons. If a couple of well-placed rounds from a .38 Special won’t stop a home intruder, then you’ve already lost that battle.
- Letters to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I would like to thank Monte Sitton and all others for a great job cleaning the streets of Manilla. I think Rush County and the state did a great job for what they had to deal with. Thanks again. Vicki Weitzel Manilla Letter to
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, We want to thank all who came to our 50th wedding anniversary and made it a perfect success. Love you all, Bill & Kay Beadle Thank you Dear Editor, R.U.S.H., Rushville United Santa Helpers, formally Toys for Tots, would like to
- Letter to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor, I wish to thank each one of you for your phone calls, visits, cards and gifts in honor of my Aunt Dorothy Crawley's 100th birthday. Each one of you brought great joy and happiness to her on her very special day. Following is he
- Letters to the Editor Thank you Dear Editor: From the family of Anna Laker, we would like to thank all our friends for the kind words, to Father Jeremy Gries for his fine services and kind words and a special thank you to Jim Todd for his leadership in our time of loss. A
- Letter to the Editor Dear Editor, The family of Pat Osting thank the Glenwood Fire Department EMT's and Rush Memorial Hospital Ambulance crews, the emergency room staff and Father Jeremy Gries for the mass and being there in her time of need. We thank Jim Todd for his le
- Thank you from the library staff Dear Editor, As we turn the page from 2013 to 2014, the trustees and staff of the Rushville Public Library wish to extend our appreciation to all who supported the library this past year in one fashion or another. Most prominent is the City of Rushvi
- Letter to the Editor Deer me, an amazing sight on Airport Road Dear Editor: A couple of days ago, Marilyn had to arise at 2:40 a.m. in order to be at her desk at the Richmond Kmart at 5 a.m. I happened to be awake at the time as she looked out one of our upstairs bedroom
- Letters to the Editor Thank you from Reality Store Dear Editor, MainSource Bank would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Corporate Sponsors: MainSource Bank, Duke Energy, Beta Sigma Phi NuGamma Sorority, RushShelby Energy, Copeland, Intat, and Pizza King of
- Letters to the Editor A solution needs to be found Dear Editor, As a retired Deputy Sheriff with 35 years of experience in Rush County Law Enforcement. I now find myself a Seasoned Citizen of Rushville who must rely on the Rushville Police Department to deter crime and p
- Letter to the Editor Indy cop no longer "exemplary" Dear Editor: In reporting on the recent court case involving an Indianapolis police officer, an Indianapolis television reporter just announced that "Officer Bisard had been an exemplary officer for years." I would offe
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines